Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mexican Marigolds


Mexican Marigolds, originally uploaded by Abby Lanes.

Meet my favorite California fall flower, the Mexican Marigold. I first discovered this plant while visiting "The Living Desert" in Palm Springs. They sell their plants near the exit, and I wanted a plant that would thrive in a California Garden. They told me this plant was a wonderful, flowering plant, and that it was a California native.

Interestingly, a Mexican friend told me this flower is used in Mexican funerals, and he's not particularly fond of it because he associates it with death.

For me, I associate it will fall color, a wonderful fragrance, and a strong, sturdy, California plant. If you love this shade of harvest yellow, this plant may be an instant favorite for you.

No comments: